Sunday, October 18, 2009

How to shuffle the pictures

And then there's my poor neglected website, which I've been feeling guilty about since before I started my senior year at Cornish. All summer I've been telling myself I need to add some new stuff to it, and I keep putting it off and not doing it.

Eventually I realized that I'm not updating it because it's a complete drag to update: I have to gather together some small collection of maybe-related images, arrange them in some suitable order, write a new HTML page (or at least dump them into the template), update links, etc. I practically always post things on this weblog instead, because it's much simpler and requires less thought.

I started thinking, "What I need is a gallery that works more like the rest of the internet. It can be more interactive, more content-driven, it can have an interface that's more responsive to the user." And then I said "Ew, you're thinking like a horrible graphic-designer marketing wonk. Stop that."

What it really needs to be is fun to play with. If it's fun to play with, I'll play with it, and so will my prospective audience. I can scrape off the clinging shreds of my graphic-design training, stop thinking like a damned artist, and just make internet time-waster toys instead.

So I've been turning my fractal gallery into a thing you can play with. It's nearly done. Tonight it had a brief round of beta-testing I sent the test-link to my mom and she said it was wonderful. So it will probably go officially live pretty soon.

Hooray!

3 comments:

Gissel Escudero said...

Hum, I have the same problem. It's easier and funnier to update my blogs instead of my webpage. So, I put links to my blogs on my webpage, as if the blogs were just another part of the whole site. That way I keep people entertained while I'm not adding anything up to my webpage :-)

Mei Shile said...

I also have the same problem. The last time I updated my website was more than a year ago and among the french texts. I don't blog for the time being. Other priorities. I presently have some music at iLike and would like to put on link to it from my website but why do it today when it can be done tomorrow ;-)...

Mr.Velocipede said...

Gissel, that seems like a good way to deal with it.