Sunday, July 5, 2009

It's not that kind of contest

I've been frustrated lately with the internet, and with fractals. I keep wishing there was some good source for news or commentary or criticism about fractal art. Once in a while, the Orbit Trap guys have a review of somebody's pictures (they even mentioned my stuff once), but too often the result of their writing is that people are irritated and the whole business degenerates into pointless fights. I really don't know what their intentions may be, so I suppose it's possible that they are genuinely trying to be interesting and/or useful, but they don't seem to have had much success generating an atmosphere of friendly exchange.

And maybe it's just that there aren't any current events to be interested in. The last major contest was years ago. There's apparently a steady flow of new stuff onto Renderosity and DeviantArt and such, but the balance of stuff posted vs. comments on same is lousy.

There are some specific reasons that fractal art is difficult to talk sensibly about. It lends itself well to the category of things generally referred to (derisively, dismissively) as "decorative arts." The current fashion in art and architecture is to leave most decoration out entirely, but even in times when everything was heavily decorated, there wasn't a lot of critique for that aspect. "Say, Joe, those are some totally sweet acanthus leaves on the third column from the left." It also seems like the vast majority of fractal art looks quite similar, so it's tough to come up with any comment beyond "Nice colors on that spiral." I'm all in favor of nicely-colored spirals, but I find myself longing for something with more depth, more intention, more layers of meaning, maybe some entertaining allusions to classical motifs or mythological themes or popular culture.

I've been largely ignoring the fractal world for the last five years while I concentrated on school, and now that I'm back, and all ready to be interested and enthusiastic, I'm finding there isn't any there there. So I'm thinking about giving myself the assignment of writing a brief essay every so often, to talk about fractals and art and decoration and color theory and whatever else seems like it might be worth thinking about. I would love for there to be responses, if anyone else out there is interested as well. I would also love for it not to turn into the kind of nit-picking, side-taking, back-biting tedium that Orbit Trap so often generates.

For now, here's some more Apophysis.

Prizes Will Be Awarded

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear! Hear!

I definitely look forward to reading what you have to say on the matter.

Also, thanks for the lovely prize.

Sam said...

I'll definitely be an interested reader.

Maybe I don't agree with your analysis about art and architecture sharing the same fashion. While there is definitely a (regrettable imho) trend in art to ignore esthetic completely, this is not the case in architecture. Maybe because while no one really mind seeing a distasteful work in a museum, nobody wants to pay a few million $ to live or work in an ugly building. There are actually many examples of patterns designed by architects to decorate their buildings which can be inspiring to the algorithmic artist. Just to give an example, this image was inspired by the famous "Bird's nest", the olympic stadium of Beijing constructed by Herzog & de Meuron. I'm also pretty certain that algorithmic art, if it was better known, would be of great interest to architects.

cruelanimal said...

"I would love for there to be responses, if anyone else out there is interested as well. I would also love for it not to turn into the kind of nit-picking, side-taking, back-biting tedium that Orbit Trap so often generates."

I have a response: Good luck with that. Whatever you do, be certain to stroke everyone to insure that you "generate an atmosphere of friendly exchange" and absolutely never write art criticism or question the fractal powers-that-be. Otherwise, you might fall into tedium, and then people will belittle your efforts to make the community more inclusive, ridicule you with mocking parody images, openly insult you, and coyly vilify your art. In other words, they'll behave towards you exactly as you now act towards Orbit Trap.