Saturday, May 10, 2008

Digital to analog conversion

In the latter half of the semester in printmaking, I've been experimenting with a process similar to lithography, which uses simple photocopies as its source material. This means that I can use fractals, and either render individual layers, or do color separation in Photoshop, and then print them in several colors. My initial attempts were just as garish and psychedelic as all the old-school fractals I've been carefully trying not to emulate all these years, but I was able to moderate that a bit by not using straight cyan, magenta, and yellow for the ink colors.

The process is by its nature not very exact, and prone to all sorts of random noise and distortions. But I'm finding the results interesting enough that I think I will try to work with it some more in the fall.

Paper Litho #1
Paper lithography #1

Paper Litho #2
Paper lithography #2

Paper Litho #3
Paper lithography #3

Paper Litho #4
Paper lithography #4

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I like your blog very much.

Mr.Velocipede said...

Thank you!